Thursday, January 19, 2012

Stereotype


During the first week at Al Masa Hotel, I heard rumors that some black teachers were being asked strange questions. A women told a friend of mine that while she was entering standing outside the hotel taking a cigarette break an Emirate man walked up to her and asked, "how much". She didn't understand what he was saying so she asked him to repeat what he had said and he explained how much does he need to pay her to have sex. I was surprised to hear this piece of news. She said a few teachers had this happen to them. I thought to myself why would an Emirate man do that? I came to the conclusion, they probably think American women and in this case black american women are easy to sleep with. I heard by some teachers that since we don't cover up, the men and women think we are like prostitutes. I got angry and the notion and just shook it off. They also said that we have to remember that Muslim men don't usually let their women out alone. I did notice a lot of women with men but I did see some Emirate women travel together.

One day I decided to catch a taxi to the mall alone because I didn't want to bother my friends. I knew exactly where I needed and what I wanted to buy so I didn't think it was a big deal. I waved a taxi down got in and went to the mall.  I got my shopping done and headed outside. It was so hot that I had to cover my head as I walked to the line of taxi's. The sun was burning my hair in minutes because I could smell it. I found a gold colored taxi and got in. I made sure to ask him if he knew where my hotel was located. He said yes, he was an older Pakistani man. I could tell by the way he was dressed. He had a different type of hat on compared to the Emirate men. The driver tried to make small talk which was fine with me. He asked if I was married, I said yes and if I had any children. He asked why i was in this country and I told him I work as an English teacher. I arrived at my hotel pretty quickly. The taxi driver told me the fare. As I was searching my purse for the correct change, he said, "I'm coming up to your room". I said to him what? and he repeated himself, "I am coming to your room with you. He put his car in park. I looked at him for what seemed to be a long time. My brain was still processing that information. I gave him the exact change and said no thank you. I literally couldn't believe that just happened as I walked into the hotel. I thought to myself, but my head was covered and I was wearing long sleeves and a long skirt. I really didn't get why he had to step to me like that way. Later on, as I told some teachers what happened they told me it's bad to take the Golden Taxi's. They explained to take the newer silver taxi's or the women only pink taxi's. That was definitely a lesson learned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!! How scary is that!! And how sad and insulting for the men to think the expats in this manner.

Arr said...

How insulting!