Monday, February 20, 2012

ADEC(Abu Dhabi Education Council)

The ADEC building 



I made it to the front of ADEC! It was so darn hot and I was wearing black.... but I was so happy to enter the nicely air conditioned building. I had to go through security and sign a log in sheet. I went in to see Jane first since she was the person who corresponded with me the most during our back to back emails.

Jane was super nice. She had a British accent and possessed a very professional demeanor. I told her who I was and that I was trying to start the exit process. I explained again why I needed to leave to her in detail. She remembered me and said I first needed to go down to Faizal and he'd direct me from then on. I went downstairs to Faizal who asked me to go back up to Jane for my formal resignation letter. I went back up to her, (mind you the building is 20 floors) and told her what Faizal had told me. She had no problem my resignation letter again. She made some corrections to it and printed it out for me. I went back down to him and gave him the letter. He was so serious and seemed busy, his white Kandora was so neatly pressed. He told me I needed to go to another woman in another department who would print some paperwork for me that needed their signatures. I basically needed okay signatures from every department of ADEC like Human Resources, Finance, Passport , Housing etc. I hurried back up to Jane since she was one of the signors I needed. I went up and down the elevator so quick! Each department was on a different floor. Some people were on the 11, 7 and 18th floor. I was determined to get my signatures.  I got Jane and all the others to sign it then went back up to Faizal. He wasn't at his desk. I was told he went for a lunch break and that he'd be back in two hours! I was fuming but I was determined to get everything done that day. I know the Emirate are so chill about everything so I had to push harder and be patient at the same time. They are known to take their precious time to complete a single task.

As I waited for Mr. Faizal, I noticed two Filipino workers just standing around. They were dressed in black pants, green vests with fancy name tags and gloves on. I later realized they were waiting for an Emirate employee to ask them for something to drink. I saw one of the men walking with a beautiful silver tray holding ONE juice box! Oh boy, is all I could say in my head. They hire someone to just fetch their juice or water?! In my opinion, it was almost hillarious. They have it so good they can  hire people to get their water for them...

Mr. Faizal came back to his desk apologized and took all my paperwork. He told me I needed to pay some money back. He directed me to the women who would let me know how much. I was disappointed and scared. I got 20,000 AED as my salary for the month so I had to repay 8,402.12 AED for breaking the two year contract. I tried to go outside to two ATM's but I was unable to take the money out.  I was so disappointed that I wouldn't get the process taken care of that day. I now had to take another bus tomorrow to get the process complete. Most of the employees at ADEC said they've never seen anyone get so much done in one day. I thought to myself how crazy and slow they were. If they had me working in that place i'd get SO much done!

I took a taxi and the bus back to Al Ain. I felt happy to get the process going. I couldn't wait for tomorrow to pay the money I owed and get myself a ticket back home to the U.S.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear TeacherGirl - where are you now and how you doing, my sister? A dear friend of mine is now in the UAE - her 2nd week.