Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Etisalat

My experience with Etisalat at The Marina Mall in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates was an interesting one. Honestly, they did not give off a good first impression. I must explain that it's not the company Etisalat or the service of the phone provider but the workers mind state. I went with my friend Lorna to the counter to get more minutes on my prepaid phone. As you can see from the picture above they have a kiosk at the mall where you can do anything from purchase a phone to getting cable service or put minutes on your phone.

On two separate occasions, I went to put minutes on my phone and noticed a few things. The Emirates are so arrogant and rude! On one occasion, I waited in line for about twenty five minutes only to be next and have the kiosk close shop on me.  They didn't even tell us they were closing down to technical difficulties. It would have been nice of them to be so courteous and let us know they had to close because they were having internet connection problems. The messed up part about it too is some Emirate teenagers kept walking up to the kiosk and ask questions without waiting in line. I thought that was very rude of them to keep doing it.
The second time visiting the Etisalat kiosk, while waiting in line an Emirate women walked straight to the front of the counter. No one said anything which was a small bother to me. I wondered to myself why isn't anyone saying anything? If that happened in the United States everyone would try to chop her head off and tell her to get in the  back of the line. I found out later that day the Emirates feel they have priority over everyone else. They usually walk in front of people and get served first before others. Their mentality is they are like royalty and should be treated that way. That was a big issue and bothered me. If I were to stay in the country, I would have to deal with the rudeness on the daily. I had a few teachers explained that I am not here to change them but to make my money and leave when my contract is done. Many teachers had the nonchalant demeanor but it was very hard for me to accept certain things that was going on in this country.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW... what an interesting culture with so many rules!

Anonymous said...

It does seem that emirati people have no concept of waiting in line but I don't perceive it as arrogance. It's just the way things are done here. When I need to get things done I will use the cueing system if there is a proper one in place. Otherwise I just push my way to the front as well and khallas.