Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Paperwork complete!

5 October 2010


One of my co workers that stayed at my hotel wanted to join me on the bus ride. I was delighted to have someone actually come with me. I did the same thing as yesterday. I took a taxi with her and the bus ride early in the morning.

Once we got to ADEC we had to split up because she had pay issues and had to see Mr. Faizal first and I had to go to the lady in the finance department. She didn't get her paycheck because she ran out of money. A lot of teachers had the same issue. I got paid right away and I was leaving! They had their priorities all messed up.

I went to the woman I saw yesterday and  paid her in cash the 8,402.12 AED. She printed out my receipt and asked why I was leaving the country. I told her because I needed to get back home to my family. She said you sure it's not because of us? I was like what? No, not at all. Man! did I lie to her face but I surely didn't want to be rude and tell her yes.

Next, I went over to Mr. Faizal he wasn't at his desk so it gave me time to chit chat with a woman that was leaving as well. She had her two sons with her. One was high school age and the other looked like he was in elementary school. She was not very happy with the system and wanted out. As she was talking to me, I remembered another teacher telling me that at her child's private school a husband of one of the expat teachers went to ask if they were hiring. He was hoping for any entry level type of position like cleaning up or office work. Instead, to his surprise since he spoke English he was offered a teaching position! When I heard that I was in shock, the man had no experience of being in a classroom and now he was gonna teach the expat kids?! That just helped me realized I didn't want my daughter going to school there.

And actually today, I stumbled upon an article specifically on the topic.  ADEC strategy to improve private school education. It's basically stating they are working on hiring more qualified teachers.

I exchanged numbers with the teacher and wished her luck because it was my turn to go into the office. I went into Mr. Faizal office and gave him my receipt of payment. He quietly printed out some exit papers that I had to sign. He didn't give me a copy for my records which I thought was pretty scary. I should have asked him for a copy so if anything went wrong I had proof. I was in such a hurry I didn't ask for it.

Lastly, I went over to get my passport. I went to see Ossama who was in charge of the passports. He was not dressed in a Kandora but dressed in business attire like in the U.S. He had to get my resident visa cancelled so he couldn't give me my passport yet. He had to go to the Al Ain immigration building yesterday to pull mine out personally to get the visa cancelled. Once I got to him he was nice and professional. He immediately handed my passport and visa cancellation papers which I did get to keep. He directed me to another woman named Iman who was going to issue me a flight back home and they were paying! I was so happy to learn I was going home by the end of the week! She made sure to get my named spelled correctly and contacted Nirvana to pick me up from my hotel. She told me I'd get a phone call from Nirvana on the exact time they'd be picking me up today.

I hurried to go back and get my things packed and do some shopping for my friends and family at the mall. I didn't want to come back empty handed.

No comments: