Friday, February 24, 2012

Shopping Galore


As soon as I got to my hotel, I got started packing up the things I had bought for my daughter and niece over the weekend. I bought two stuffed teddy bear book bags. I've never seen them before back home so I knew the girls would love them. It was the norm for kids to wear them here. In the states, I don't think students wouldn't be allowed to have the book bags because they'd probably be a distraction. I also bought plenty of cookies and candies. They had different kinds of chocolates and candies that we don't have in the U.S. I knew the girls would be so happy to eat them up!

While I finished packing, I realized I didn't get a phone call yet. I was told I'd get a call by 14:00 but no one did. I knew they had forgotten me or since people have such an inshallah attitude they'd get to me when they could. I decided to go to the mall nearby. I ate and bought some massage oils and soaps. I also decided to take a taxi to a nail salon that all the other teachers went to get their henna tattoos.  I made it to the salon and was greeted by some nice women. The woman who did my henna tattoo was from India.  She did some beautiful designs on my hands and palm. It was my first time getting it done. The henna paste tingled and took a while to air dry. While my henna was drying the lady that was doing it for me went out. I noticed she put on a black abaya to go out. I thought only the Emirate women could do that but I started to notice a trend of some women wearing it. I asked a friend later that day and she said it was because the women who wear the black Abayas don't get harassed by men. It made perfect sense to me once that was explained. The woman came back and checked on my henna. She peeled them off for me since the henna paste dried up. She told me the color would come in darker by tomorrow. It was dark when I came outside to take a taxi. I was a bit nervous because I was alone but I got back to the hotel safely.

I got home safely and went straight down to the Italian restaurant to get something to eat. I figured i'm leaving that I might as well enjoy four start dining. I had freshly made Alfredo pasta with chicken and a nice cold Coca Cola. I was in heaven. I went shopping and had good food to eat. Who could ask for anything more?! I went back to my room thinking hopefully I will get a call tomorrow about my ride to Abu Dhabi or I would have to take a bus ride to ADEC again...




No comments: